Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Truth about the Shade

The Truth about the Shade

Written by Vergere

The Shade is considered by many to be the definition of pure evil. It is that thing, which cannot be quantified by most, which haunts our every thoughts and dreams. Many think that if we defeat the Shade that our lives will suddenly be better.

I admit the Shade does present a lesson in evil, but has anyone every tried talking to the Shade? No. No one has ever tried communicating with it to see how it really thinks and feels.

To answer the accusations before they are thrown at me: I do not believe that the Shade can be bargained with and I do believe that if left unchecked it will destroy Sornieth.

In my meditations and spell castings, I have felt a coldness in it. A coldness that has threatened to freeze the blood going through my veins. When I have tried to touch what would be considered its mind, I have felt nothing.

Of course, I do not know if I'm really touching what could be considered its mind.

The Shade is not good. It is not helpful. While its powers can be harnessed, users must be constantly aware of what can go wrong. Of how they can be subtly corrupted.  Of how they could come under complete Shade control without knowing.

Most of Sornieth seems to lay blame for all the evil on the continent at the Shade's feet. If the Shade was driven fully from our world there would still be evil. There would still be acts committed that caring people would not understand. Could not understand.

We do not act evil because of the Shade, we do so because that's who we are.

So the Shade can be safely compared to a great earthquake or a devastating storm. Both do damages that kill and can take a long time to recover from. But we don't call either of these things evil because they aren't.

The ability to do evil does not make a thing evil. That is putting our own senses onto something else. The earthquake would be evil only if its wish was to destroy.

The Shade does not think like we do. It may not see us as we see ourselves, it might not have any way of changing its outlook on life. So it cannot be evil if its ability to look at the world is as limited as an earthquake or tornado.

All of those that are Yun-Harla must understand this. My department is about accepting all things and knowing the extent of true power. This means taking a different grasp on the world than most.

This is why the Yun-Harla Department will remain small: not many have the power and ability to understand what I do.

BACK

No comments:

Post a Comment